9/11- The World Stood Still... But Life Still Had to Go On


When I'm asked, "Where were you on 9/11?" I find my story is very mundane and boring, at least on the surface. I was in 8th grade on September 11, 2001, going about my business like any other Tuesday that school year. Sixteen years later, as a teacher, I find myself imagining what it was like for my own teachers that day. What did it feel like to know the world as we knew it was changing and yet carry on with the business of teaching and learning as usual? What did it feel like to be the trusted adult face in front of a class of 13-year-olds, all looking to you as a source of facts, calm, comfort, and wisdom in the face of fear and confusion?

The fact that my 9/11 story is boring to tell (although it was definitely not a boring day for me), means my teachers and administrators at Novi Middle School did their job well that day. And for that I'm forever grateful. So here is my "boring" story and what I learned about how to be a good teacher in the face of crisis.

-----------

September 11, 2001 started like any other Tuesday of my 8th grade year. I had gym class 1st hour (we played football), language arts 2nd hour, math 3rd hour, and then lunch. Until 11:00am or so, when I went to 4th hour science class after lunch, I had no idea any of the attacks had happened. By that time all four planes had crashed and both World Trade Center towers had fallen. It's mind boggling to think so much tragedy happened in the span of two hours and here we all were carrying on through two class periods and lunch like any other day.

I got to science a couple minutes before class started and a boy in my class stopped me at the door and asked, "Did you hear about the plane that crashed into the World Trade Center?" I told him no, walked into the room, and took my seat. I wondered where he heard about this, but I didn't give it too much thought. I assumed if there was significant news for us to know the teacher would tell us about it during class. My science teacher, Mr. Durham, seemed a little flustered and worried, but he was clearly trying not to show it. I remember him saying something like, "I know something happened and you all want to know about it, but we can't talk about it now." From there he calmly went on with his lesson and that was the end of it.

I had social studies next door for 5th hour. This teacher, Ms. Kelly, told us the principal was planning to make an announcement about the attacks sometime in the afternoon, but until that happened we still couldn't talk about it. She looked tense, just like Mr. Durham, but the calm, professional, teacher demeanor was projecting through. All that time I remember feeling more curious than worried, and I'm sure I have my teachers' calm presence to thank for that.

My 6th hour class was band. When we arrived, the band teacher, Mr. Seiler, said the principal would be making his announcement sometime during this hour. He told us to leave our instruments in our cases and we would just sit and wait for the announcement to come. For the first time that day, everyone started freely talking and speculating about the news. Some kids already knew a little about it because another teacher had the radio on in the morning when the news broke. Others like me, still had no idea what the true facts really were. When the loudspeaker beeped for the announcement, the room silenced instantly. (I've never heard a room of kids get quiet so fast.) Mr. Obrenovich, the principal, talked on the PA for about 5 minutes giving straightforward facts about the four plane crashes, the towers falling, and who may have caused this. He assured us we were safe and it was a time for all Americans to unite and support each other.

After the announcement, Mr. Seiler let us raise hands to share thoughts and feelings about everything we heard. I don't remember much of this class discussion, but I was glad he let us take some time to talk about it. The discussion died down about 10 minutes before class ended. We finally got out our instruments then, but there was only time to play a few warm-up exercises.

In 7th hour sewing, I remember sitting with a couple friends, continuing to discuss the attacks while we worked on our projects at the sewing machines. Even in the midst of a national crisis the school day carried on like normal - lessons were taught, homework was assigned, and work got done. The full gravity of the 9/11 events didn't hit me until I got home and saw all the news coverage on TV. (My mom lets CNN run in the background on a normal day, so of course she was glued to the TV to hear all the news.) I watched the airplanes crash and the towers fall repeatedly in the couple hours I was home after school before leaving for dance class. Everything seemed unreal, and yet I felt the horrible reality of all the death, destruction, and uncertainty sitting painfully inside of me too.

-----------

I never felt unsafe or afraid that day, just very sad and very aware of how much the world had changed in a single day. I knew I was living through one of those unforgettable, history-making days. In the days that followed, I remember the ongoing news coverage, occasional class discussions at school, and the obviously renewed patriotism rising up in everyone. In Novi, MI, the message I heard loud and clear from every trusted adult in my life was this: Something evil and terrible happened on 9/11 and many things are uncertain, but life must go on. Our country was just damaged, not beaten. It was our own version of, "Keep calm and carry on." And that was exactly what happened.

I don't get many chances to share my story with students these days as a specials teacher, but I remember telling my 6th graders about it during the three years I was a regular classroom teacher. Every year I told my "boring" story and every year they sat riveted in their seats, as if this story was the most fascinating thing they'd ever heard. It fascinated them because I was close to their age when I experienced 9/11. I'm sure they could easily imagine themselves in my shoes, carrying on with a "normal" school day, sheltered and protected by trusted teachers, curious to know everything and yet understanding the adults needed to withhold some information for their own good. I hope I never have to shepherd any of my own students through a national/world crisis the way my 8th grade teachers did on 9/11. But if I ever do, I know I will swallow my fear, say a prayer for strength, and stand in front of my students with a face of calm. When all is said and done I must show them that God is still in control and life can and will go on.

Picture credit: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tribute_in_Light_memorial_on_September_11,_2010.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easter in the Computer Lab- 5th-8th Grade

Thoughts on the Royal Wedding...and What It Showed Me About God

The End of the School Year is Finally Here!! (A Lesson in Being Present in the Moment)